Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Yesterday

Yesterday was one of those rotten no-good days
when one darn thing follows another.
It began with a sinus headache.
I suppose the headache may have been a contributing factor
to all that followed.
But, it began with the sinus headache.
Of course, I took the drug cocktail that seems to help -
pseudoephedrine, (generic) claritin, ibuprofen -
that got the pain down to where I could walk straight.
As I was brushing my teeth, I noticed there was a stain on my shirt.
Right over the hollow of my right shoulder, a stain.
So I changed my shirt.
I was in a hurry, because I wanted to stop by the post office and then vote
before I went to work.
After I had rolled the car out of the garage,
I realized I'd forgotten my glasses.
I need those glasses to drive,
and need them even more to work.
I switched off the car, went inside, and got my glasses.
Post office and voting transpired without incident.
But then I had to wait for a train.
The train that runs north and south
a block east of Broadway,
and about three blocks west
of the parking garage.
Aside from wishing I could unscrew the top of my skull
(like Steve Martin in that movie),
the morning proceeded without incident
until about 10:00
when I realized
I had forgotten my watch.
Which is only an issue at lunch,
because there are no clocks
at the cafeteria where I eat.
The day was busy, which was good,
because it encouraged me to focus
on the tasks at hand
rather than my physical discomfort.
Got home.
I thought the meeting was at 7,
which meant I only had about an hour
to do everything I wanted to do.
Naturally, my elderly neighbor called
and needed help with his fancy phone.
That took about 20 minutes.
And I chose to write bills
and balance the check book
and print out the prayer I would say at the meeting.
I scarfed down a Healthy Choice entree for dinner.
Then I chose to stop by the post office (again!)
on the way to the meeting.
Rushing, rushing, rushing.
The meeting actually started at 7:30.
Happily, the meeting ended around 9:30.
I got home safely.
My headache is better today,
thanks for asking.

No comments: