Friday, February 04, 2005

Friday's Cat

Artist Julian
Monday had a sweet beginning. DJ sensed I was close to waking up around five, and walked up from where she was – in the crook of my knees – up to my left shoulder. She set her front paws in the depression just under my shoulder blade, then started purring up a storm. Naturally, I started petting her. But it was an awkward position for either hand, so I stopped after 15-20 minutes. She was feeling pretty relaxed, I guess, because the next thing I knew her chin was resting on the left side of my mouth.

Thursday morning wasn't quite so nice. I woke at around 1:30 or 2. Which didn't make any sense, because Wednesday was the big stress day. If I was to lose sleep due to stress, it would've made sense on Wednesday morning, in anticipation of the day. But no. I wake up early the morning after the mission has been accomplished. After the goal had been achieved, all three grants got out the door in acceptable condition.

So I sat up and played solitaire for a bit, which normally is sufficiently boring to put me to sleep. I guess the fact that I wasn’t paying attention to her was distressing to DJ, because she became very vocal. Her meow is beginning to show a fascinating variety and musicality. After several losing hands of solitaire, I decided to lie down again, in hopes that DJ would understand it was time to be quiet and curl up in one of her favorite spots.

No such luck. The meowing continued. Then she started running and playing around the bedroom. At this point, I was lying on my tummy – a position that often facilitates sleep. She jumped up on the bed and – you guessed it – landed in the small of my back.

She was gently ushered from the room, and the door was closed. Amazing I could be gentle at that hour and in that condition. But I was.

It’s been a hard week for Miss Julian. I’ve not been home but one evening this week (except to eat and sleep of course). Next week will be slightly better – I’ll only be gone Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday.

No doubt I’ll be buying her a new toy in the near future to relieve minor guilt pangs.

No comments: