Sunday, February 20, 2005

Yesterday's Saturday

It took the better part of last week for me to record what I did last Saturday. I did so much on that day, it seemed like three days in one. The entry is not far in the past — it was posted Thursday, February 17. Some people (e.g., Pam and Alexandria) have gotten the impression that I keep myself pretty busy.

So, it seems only fair to give a rough indication of what I did yesterday.

As little as possible.

OK. I woke between 5:30 and 6. This has become "normal," even for weekends. Don't know if I've trained my body for this, or if it's due to the addition of a certain furry creature who starts purring very loudly about that time.

I debated about going to my favorite greasy spoon for breakfast, but ultimately decided against it. For one thing, they didn't open until 7, and I was pretty hungry by the time I got out of the shower. For another, if I didn't spend money on breakfast, that would be cash I could spend on something else. Like a movie with a friend. Or, toward the trip I'll be taking later this week.

About which, more later.

Anyway, it was a bit before 7 by the time I finished breakfast. My primary goals for the day were to get my hair cut and stop by the library. Neither place was open yet, so I had to fill the time somehow.

Why not do my taxes?

Week before last, I heard on NPR that the IRS had made arrangements with several tax-preparation software manufacturers to offer use of the on-line version of the software free for those who filed electronically. I decided to risk it. (BTW: links here)

I used H&R Block last year, and it cost a little over $200 dollars for them to prepare my taxes. Happily, my state refund covered the bulk of that cost. But, free versus 200 bucks. It wasn't hard for my miserly heart to do that math.

The newscaster on NPR stated it would take the average tax payer about two hours to go through the process. It took me about an hour and a half to do both Federal and State taxes. There was a charge to do the State form, but I decided 25 dollars was worth it. Again, compared to 200 smackers . . . .

Going on the Internet to do my taxes naturally necessitated surfing to some of my favorite spots: feral, Dick Jones' Patteran Pages, Stick Poet (etc, etc). It was about 9 by the time all that was done. The library and SuperCuts would be open by then.

I went to SuperCuts first. There were only two "hair stylists" on duty at the time: a man and a woman. The man was finished with his previous customer first, so he called me next. I found out that he really wants to be a computer programmer. His speech was heavily accented (I think he was Vietnamese), and it was difficult for me to understand everything he said, but I got the impression he had been a computer programmer once before. He told me that he'd recently been offered a job in Nashville, TN, but his wife wasn't willing to move that far.

Went to the library next. I had a book on reserve, Jim Wallis' Faith Works. Actually, I didn't think it would come so soon; I'm reading two other books at the moment. But, after seeing the clip from The Daily Show in which refers to Jon Stewart as being a modern prophet, I knew I wanted to check his writing out. I've read his introduction, and the book is definitely off to a good, thought-provoking, start.

Any time I go to the library, I have to check out the newly received books. I also wander through the 811-899 section of the Deweys, where the poetry, literature, and plays live. From this section, I checked out Shel Silverstein's Light in the Attic. Quite a striking difference — a book of light verse and a book on putting faith into action. Maybe I felt the need for some balance.

Well, that left the rest of the day. I decided to watch a bit of the Wonderfalls Viewers Collection. "Wonderfalls" was a quirky dramedy that ran on Fox for four episodes. After which, it was cancelled. Entertainment Weekly had recommended the program when it originally aired, and I enjoyed the two episodes I could catch. When EW praised the release of the full intended 13-episode season on DVD, I had to check it out. I've got a little over two-thirds of the way through this collection, and I shall have more to say about it after I've seen it to the end.

I took naps between, and sometimes during, episodes. Long naps. Woke up around five thirty, decided I needed to move around, so I went to Borders — just to wander. While there, I realized there were some food stuffs I needed, so I went to the grocery store.

Got home, watched a bit more of "Wonderfalls," then watched some regular TV. And then, to bed.

Exciting day, nu?

Oh, yeah: if you were reading really closely, you may have noticed that I mentioned I'm taking a trip late this week. I have been asked to represent St. Paul's at an Adult Christian Ed Conference which is meeting this Thursday through Saturday in Kansas City, MO.

Imagine that. More churchy stuff.

Well, I am flattered that I was asked. I mean, to represent the Cathedral is quite the thing. Aside from recognizing my interest in teaching, it's quite an honor to be asked to represent the Cathedral, for gosh sakes. It assumes that I won't do anything to embarrass the Cathedral.

Wait a minute, did I just say I'm interested in teaching? Pam has been saying for the past three years that she sees me as a teacher, and I've demurred. But, the truth is, I've enjoyed leading Christian Ed classes. I have ideas that interest me, and I presume they will interest at least a few others as well.

I've done several classes now, three of them at the Cathedral, and all have been respectably attended. So, it would seem I have some talent in that area. Now, I'm going to a regional conference (about seven states will be represented) where I'm likely to get more ideas and more tools.

I'm excited and looking forward to it.

Wish me safe travel. Pray, if that's part of your discipline and tradition, for my growth through this opportunity.

No comments: