Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday Five: Creature Comforts

Courtesy of Reverend Mother
  1. Comfort beverage
    Tea. I drink "Gun Powder" green tea almost every morning. Now that the weather is getting chilly, I tend to follow that with Celestial Seasonings' Red Zinger. I tend to collect teas like some people collect trading cards.

  2. Comfort chair
    My recliner at home. I've lost count of the number of times I've fallen asleep in this chair. Of course, it is carefully arranged for optimal viewing of the opium box. So, that helps.
       My former wife and I bought this recliner at a second-hand shop in Norman. So, although it was reconditioned, it had lived a full life before it came to us. It's quite comfortable.

  3. Comfort read
    There was a time when I read Mr. God, This Is Anna every year over Easter weekend. Padre introduced me to the book when I was a junior or senior in high school. I still remember the sound of his baritone voice as he read passages he found especially meaningful.
       The book has good points and bad points. It has some sentimental elements. Some of the theology can seem mushy, which the reader may forgive since it is presented through the character of a little girl.
       I don't worry about these flaws when I pick it up. I sit in my recliner, open the book, and imagine I hear Padre's voice reading those passages one more time.

  4. Comfort television/DVD/music
    Some things provide comfort through familiarity. Several old TV shows serve this function, such as the original Dick Van Dyke Show or Perry Mason. Certain DVDs are standard reliables when I'm feeling under the weather or a little blue, such as Field of Dreams or Love, Actually. I'm a fan of a broad variety of musical genres, and often any piece of music will lift my spirits.
       I'll mention just a couple of examples – the blues as sung by Billie Holliday, or Górecki's Third Symphony (Dawn Upshaw, soprano).

  5. Comfort companion(s)
    There is no question that her royal catness has become a comfort companion. Cooler weather has encouraged her to spend more time in my lap, and to sleep with me.
       Companions from church, such as Pam, provide comfort. Another long-time comfort companion is Dr. Omed, who I haven't seen since his 2005 Winter Solstice event. Happily, the miracle of the internet makes it possible to keep tabs on his doings and creations. And the innovations of G'YuTube make it possible to hear his voice without driving to Tulsa.
      However, I do have hopes to visit the Right Rev. sometime before this year's solstice celebration. Perhaps the day after Thanksgiving?

Post #1690

No comments: