Sunday, April 18, 2004

The Book Game

I first saw this peculiar game mentioned at Katey's One Good Bumblebee. Since then, I've seen it at Mabrina's Forge, the Stickpoet, and elsewhere.

Gotta say, I don't really get the point of the excercise, but it's a cute idea. Besides, the Good Doctor has done it. So, I naturally do as the Doctor orders.

Here's the rules:
  1. Grab the nearest book.
  2. Open the book to page 23.
  3. Find the fifth sentence.
  4. Post the text of the sentence along with these instructions.
The book which is on my (somewhat cluttered) desk at the moment is Book of Mercy by Leonard Cohen (Random House, New York, NY, © 1984). This book is promoted as "contemporary psalms", and I'm inclined to agree. Uniquely, these are psalms written as prose poetry.

Psalm 11 begins on page 23 of this particular edition. The fifth sentence of this psalm is "Various families came to him and showed him all the chairs he might sit in."

Now what does that tell us? What does it tell me that Dr. Omed has Camille Paglia's Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson close to hand? Not much, I suppose. It does introduce folk in the blogverse to a number of different books, and alternate voices.

All to the good.

No comments: