Saturday, April 03, 2004

Emily for the Day

Read several poems by Emily Dickinson last night, as my observance of National Poetry Month continues. I have in my lap The Complete Poems, edited by Thomas H. Johnson. Doctor Omed (can I ever stop talking about him?) directed me to this at a used book sale in Tulsa last year. But that's another story.

I began, logically enough, at the first poem in the collection. It's dated "Valentine week, 1850"; it begins
Awake ye muses nine, sing me a strain divine,
Unwind the solemn twine, and tie my Valentine!

Oh, the Earth was made for lovers, for damsel, and hopeless swain,
For sighing, and gentle whispering, and unity made of twain.
Trust me, it doesn't get much better from there.

But, the advantage of reading "complete poems", at least for the aspiring poet, is to see the development of the voice and talent. Just a few years later, in 1854, she wrote
Frequently the woods are pink —
Frequently are brown.
Frequently the hills undress
Behind my native town.
Here, we can see the beginning of a voice we've come to know & love.

More to come, as I pay Emily more visits.

No comments: