Saturday, April 03, 2004

Happy Blogday, Dr. Omed!

Yesterday was Dr. Omed's "blogday" (as he calls it), the anniversary of the day he posted his first entry at his Tent Show Revival. He followed me by about a week, though I'm unaware of whether he was copying (or inspired by) me.

If he has said, I've forgotten.

I am a tad jealous. The good Doctor has more comments at his Tent Show, and apparantly a few more visitors. I think his "Nun of the Week" might be part of it. His poetry keeps getting better & better. I tend to think his is better than mine, but I'm too close to judge.

But, aside from the writing, I think the readership has something to do with the method we've chosen to publish our web-logs. Dr. Omed is using the Salon server, which has a built-in community. This service also has a handy comment system, which uses cookies to remember the user each time they post a comment (thus, I've posted as "Jonah" in most of the Salon-based blogs).

If "blogger" or "blogspot" has any sort of community, I've yet to discover it. Since I'm using the free version of blogger, folk have to scan past the notorious banner ads. And, I'm using a free version of the Haloscan commenting system, which does not use cookies to "remember" folk who post here frequently. Thus, folk like the venerable Doctor have to type their name, web-site, etc each time they post a comment. I'll note that one is not required to fill out each of those fields, but plugging in your blog-site in a comment field is a great way to promote it.

All that is beside the point. I'm actually glad Dr. Omed is finding success in the Salon. I look forward to another year full of faux-president-bashing (sorry, I refuse to say the man's name), scurrilous nuns, dancing scizzors, and great poetry.

No comments: