Friday, June 11, 2004

Another Lady for Fiona

Our Lady of the Roses
This is an image of a refrigerator magnet which I purchased in New Mexico in 1985. I've thought of it as an image of the Virgin of Guadalupe (thus, the shout-out to Madame Fi), but I could well be mistaken.

I suppose I have assumed this was a true variation on the "Guadalupe" virgin because of where I bought it.  But it seems that the nimbus should be larger, and golden.  The rose-coloring and accents also suggest that this was not intended as a variant on the "Guadalupe" vision. But I like the image nonetheless.

The roses are an interesting touch.  According to The Rose Garden Game, the early Christian community looked to the Old Testament for ways to understand Mary's function in Christ's life. She came to be associated with the Rose of Sharon mentioned in the Song of Songs, and eventually became associated with roses. This is the reason the cycle of prayers and beads dedicated to her honor is known as the rosary.

No comments: