Thursday, June 10, 2004

Heeding the Call, Pt. IV
Gift Inventory

  1. Singing
  2. Speaking
  3. Writing
  4. Listening/Synthesis
  5. Compassion
So: I have this cartoon at my desk - Augustine Interviews God, Part Three - © by Natalie d'Arbeloff. The cartoon has a charming Thurberesque quality; Augustine is a woman (rather than the male philosopher), and God is portrayed as a man. Augustine is asking God about the problem of evil. God responds that evil is a consequence of Free Will; God awaits the day when all creation will freely choose Love. Augustine naturally asks whether God is simply going to sit and do nothing while waiting for humanity to choose Love.

God responds: "No, I don't sit and wait. I give interviews. And I actively look for collaborators."

"Um...What sort of collaboration would that entail?" Augustine asks. "What have you got to offer?"

The above list is what I have to offer. A number of people have complemented me on my singing and speaking voice, and I have come to accept that it is a true gift (rather than just my ego). Some have complemented my writing, so I suppose it speaks to at least a few.

As for the next item - listening/synthesis - what I mean by this is that I have always had a good listening ear. I've always been a sympathetic listener. In addition to that, when I'm with a group, I seem to have a knack for synthesizing statements made by the group members. This has been validated by people agreeing with whatever summing-up statement I make.

This particular combination of gifts seem especially well-suited for the ordained ministry. However, there are a number of less formal ministries these gifts apply to.

You know what I would ask God if I could interview Her? I would ask if She is calling me to ordained ministry. Yeah, of course, I want the straight-forward, clear answer. And I probably would not get it.

I don't know. It might be more important to God that I share these gifts in the same Spirit of Love in which I received them. Whether I wear a priest's collar or not may not be as important as finding the best way to share these gifts.

Next: Charismatic Yin/Yang

No comments: