Friday, June 11, 2004

Raygun vs. Bro. Ray



Raygun's AccomplishmentsBro. Ray's Grammy's
As Governor of California, was among first to "mainstream" the mentally ill. Hundreds left homeless.Let the Good Times Roll, 1960
Best Rhythm & Blues Performance
As president, fired the air traffic controllers, effectively breaking their union. Also appointed judges who did not enforce pro-union laws. Georgia On My Mind, 1960
Best Performance by a Pop Single Artist
Did not recognize AIDS as a disease until toward the end of his presidency (medical community recognized it in 1980, near the beginning of his term).  Thus, delayed funding for research on the treatment for this disease. Lead to the death of thousands.The Genius Of Ray Charles, 1960
Best Vocal Performance Album, Male
Still non-existent "Star Wars" shieldGeorgia on My Mind, 1960
Best Vocal Performance Single Record Or Track, Male
Iran-ContraHit the Road Jack, 1961
Best Rhythm & Blues Recording
Deregulating the Savings & Loan industry, paving the way for an industry meltdown and subsequent bailout that cost taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars.I Can't Stop Loving You, 1961
Best Rhythm & Blues Recording
Helped arm Saddam Busted, 1963
Best Rhythm & Blues Recording
Through CIA, armed and trained Osama bin Laden, et al, in Afganistan's struggle against the SovietsCrying Time, 1966
Best R&B Solo Vocal Performance, Male Or Female
Vetoed sanctions on the South African apartheid regimeCrying Time, 1966
Best Rhythm & Blues Recording
Slashed the security safety net Living for the City, 1975
Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male
Largest tax cut in history for the wealthiest 1% of the nation - effectively widening the income and wealth gapI'll Be Good to You (recorded with Chaka Khan), 1990
Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
Most of GWB's cabinet (Ashcroft, Rumsfeld, Chaney ....)A Song For You, 1993
Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male
Raygun famously called catsup a vegetable.  Brother Ray recorded a version of "Georgia on My Mind" which is now that state's official state song. Raygun was GWB's protogenitor, proving only ACTING like president was necessary. Brother Ray, contrary to James Brown, was the true Godfather of Soul.

Here's the esteemed Dr. Omed on the former prez:
I'm afraid I don't feel ... warm and fuzzy about Teflon Ron. He prickles me still. I despise him, and all that he stood for. I remember the day after the election in Nov. 79. I was flabbergasted that he had won it. I simply couldn't believe that many voters were that stupid. Since then my flabber has wore out my gaster. That morning I had coffee at the lunch counter of the local drugstore (No Starbuck's back then) and listened as people around me said things like, "Murika's gonna be strong again." All the things that people liked about him I couldn't stand. His faux bonhomie, his whole fake-it-til-you-make-it ethos, the one liners, the jokes, his canned, prerecorded sincerity, his sentimental jingoism, his creepy canned creamed corn on mom and apple pie voice — and the jellybeans. Raygun made rightwing bunk mainstream. Largely because of this man, I have spent most of my adult life watching my country go down the toilet under the collective butt of fundamentalists, the predatory capitalists, the mouth-breathing peckerwood Good-Ol'-Boys, and Texicans. I really can't be objective about the man.
I'm with you, Doc. It's certain the nation won't spend a week mourning Brother Ray's passing. But we should. He deserves it much more than the MORON'S bastard father.

Well, the Repugnicans have had their little party. Now, let's set about making sure it's the last one they celebrate for the next decade or so....

No comments: