Monday, December 08, 2003

Poet Dreams

Recently, the members of the Poetry Espresso e-list have been discussing dreams in which they encounter fellow poets. This discussion brought to mind a couple I've had, one quite recent:
Dana (a.k.a. Dr Omed) and I were in a tall building overlooking a public park. Very lovely and lush, quite green too (unlike Okla's current status). I spoke a spontaneous poem. Dana said, "That's quite good, when did you write it?"

OK, so it's an ego dream....

The frustrating thing is, I can only remember a fragment of the dream poem.
The second dream is older:
In waking life, there was a hymn I didn't care for much; might have been "Let All Mortal Flesh". Don't know why. Anyway, in this dream the metaphysical poet John Donne approached me & informed me that he had written the words for that hymn. Having a great deal of affection for Donne (both pre- and post-conversion), I took a 2nd look.

Shortly after the dream, I did indeed take a 2nd look at the hymn. The
one in question had not been written by Donne, but I did find something in it that spoke to me — perhaps because of the dream. There are, in fact, two hymns in the Episcopal 1982 Hymnal based on Donne poems: "Wilt thou forgive" and "When Jesus died to save us".
Speaking of "Waking Life", I give a qualified recommendation to Richard Linklater's movie of the same name. I've seen it twice, and received something each time. It has its own quality of surreal poetry, as well. Not something for a permanent library, most likely, but worth seeing at least once.

No comments: