Monday, October 11, 2004

Portraits

In viewing the photograph posted Saturday, Madame Fi comments:
This is scary in a R. Crumb-ish kinda way. Can you take one without hats or glasses, so that we may have a chance to see the naked face that you are so ambivalent about? Do a real tear-away-the-mask shot. Peel down to the bone for us.
Ms Candide adds:
Glasses for safety. What's up with that?
The second comment is easiest to respond to: Padre sometimes had call to go out on the shop floor, where there was heavy machinery. The glasses you've seen have heavy-duty lenses to protect against flying debris; they originally had plastic on the side as well. I've "modeled" with them partly because of the connection with my father; partly because I have a sort of geeky William S. Burroughs look when I wear them.

As for the naked face, I don't have a current picture handy. In the meantime, here's a portrait done by my friend Drew Curtis. I was in my early twenties when this was done. The media is felt pen.

Portrait
And here's a variation on a theme. On the right is the same protrait; on the left is a hand-colored photocopy (I had layed my face on a photocopier, then colored it in with felt marker).

Twins
I promise: an unaltered image of your correspondent will be posted by this time tomorrow.

No comments: