Thursday, November 18, 2004

About Nov. 17

In re: my previous post.

As it turned out, "fear" was too strong a word. But yesterday did develop into a very interesting, sometimes stressful day.

Many days are rather slow, and I have to dream of things to do. Those are days when my blog writing is especially prolific (if uneven).

Other days, I have one main project, and I have the luxury of focusing primarily on that project.

Yesterday was one of those days where I thought I could focus on one project, and have some time left over for a personal project, but circumstances led elsewhere. I'd work on one thing, then get called off to do something else. It was definitely a "one step forward, two steps back" kind of day.

The chair of our department was in a micromanaging mood yesterday, and this was one of those circumstances that prevented me from focusing on the project I thought would get top priority for the day. When she came to my desk five minutes before my normal lunch time (12:30), I did not demure; I gave her my full attention, and collected the information she requested immediately. However, when she asked that I do some photocopying for her, I did ask if it could wait until after I had lunch.

By the way, she most likely has no clue when I normally go to lunch.

I went to lunch at 12:45 (no great sacrifice, there), but decided I couldn't afford to take a full hour (a luxury we state employees are afforded) because I had a meeting to set up for at two. I was all prepared to read more of the Rabbi book, when I ran into Judy in the hospital cafeteria. Judy is the editor of OU Medicine magazine, which is published by the OU Medicine Alumni Foundation.

Judy had also been having an interesting day, as it turned out. But mostly, we talked about books and politics. Judy is also a liberal Democrat, so we could commiserate and vent freely.

Later, yesterday afternoon, I visited with Aimee, in the Office of Research Administration. She also had been having an interesting day.

It's too early for the full moon, isn't it?

No comments: