Friday, November 05, 2004

Postcards



Photo by Daryl Wilson, ©Prairie Production Company, Tulsa, OK
I'm mailing postcards to Sam and Ivy on my way to work this morning.
Both are touristy picture postcards from Oklahoma — Sam's, a picture of roserocks, and Ivy a picture from the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve (shown above).

At the top of the notebook page, you see the haiku I sent Sam. It's based on an image which came to me yesterday morning, on the way to the car to drive to work. I sat up in bed, wrote the lines I had been repeating to myself in my bedside journal (pictured here), then copied onto the postcard.

Just below the haiku, you see a false start for part three of "Plague House". Since I couldn't make a quick in-road on that, I decided to try something Ivy mentioned early on in this process: a correspondent wrote a poem inspired (or responding to) the image on the postcard. So, in the spirit of postcard poetry, I wrote the first draft directly on the card to Ivy; she will get to see the deletions and so on. What is recorded here is a "fair copy", which will be typed into this space once Ivy acknowledges receipt. I did include an eye rhyme and concluding couplet, just for Ivy's amusement.

It does help having a deadline, of sorts. I've really enjoyed the cards and poems I've received from Ivy. I look forward to seeing what the correspondence with Sam will produce!

No comments: