Friday, November 05, 2004

Friday's Cat (et al)

DJ, 11/05/04
I didn't think I'd have any pictures to share with you today, because I failed to take any last night. But Julian, being almost a big a ham as I am, held this pose long enough for me to get this shot this morning. Made me a little later than normal getting out the door, but it's worth it.

Her eyes are actually an emerald green. The weird blue glow in this picture is no doubt an interesting reflection off the back of her eyes. I chose not to doctor this variation on "red eye" because I think it looks rather cool. I did do a little doctoring on the afghan — can you tell?

Interesting thing about that afghan — it was a gift from my high school sweetheart's mother. My house must seem jam-full of sentimental objects.

Back to DJ: She's proving to be a tough customer. It looks to me like she's pulling her own stitches out. The result is not a pretty sight (not going into detail). She's scheduled to go to the vet this evening, so I'm rather anxious to hear what he has to say.
Recommended Reading
This is totally unrelated to cats (or rats), but I definitely wanted to direct you to Dr. Omed's reflections regarding the recent passage of the anti-gay amendment for Oklahoma's constitution.

Like so many similar measures before it, this was titled a "Defense of Marriage Act". How is homosexuality a threat to marriage? Homosexuality has been recognized at least since Freud; it's been more overt since the Stonewall riots of the early 70s and the AIDS plague of the 80s. In all that time, there has not been a single report of a homosexual proseltyzing straights.

Some have claimed that homosexuals would try to convert our children, or would turn them gay by abusing them. But the majority of child sexual abuses are committed by heterosexual men.

I would think the greatest threat to marriage is divorce. And, ironically, the same fundamentalists who see the (perceived) sin of homosexuality as a grave threat are not nearly so threatened by divorce. I don't know whether our Southern Baptist brothers & sisters perceive divorce as a sin, but I'm aware that their denomination suffers the highest percentage of divorce.

I ask again, as I have in the past: assuming homosexuality is a sin, what makes it worse than any other human sin? Why single this one out?

No comments: